About this site

Piers and Lin du Pré bought their new Fleming 55 / 129, Play d'eau, in 2003.

She was berthed in Beaucette Marina, Guernsey in the Channel Islands at N49° 30’.197 W002° 30’.350 until she was sold in October 2021.

This site charts the thrilling adventures they had in her.

You can contact us here.

Where’s Play d’eau?

If the new owners have the AIS on, you can find where Play d'eau is right now.

Click here.

Zoom in and our position will be shown on a map.

Recent Posts

Ambushed by the weather

8am this morning, and endless black clouds and high winds assail us
click to enlarge

Own up – who turned our brilliant weather off?

The 6 weeks following our departure from Audierne on 12th June have been utterly glorious. Sun cream by the gallon (well, not quite), calm seas and blue skies, all courtesy of a friendly Azores high pressure system spreading its wings over Play d’eau. It was perfect.

But the moment John and Beryl left nine days ago, we’ve had thunder storms and high winds created by an endless march of depression after depression which have won the battle and sent the high pressure running.

Where now?

Good question. So far we’ve been holed up in Les Sables d’Olonne for six days and the first weather window seems to be next Thursday. If so, we’ll have been in Les Sables for nine days when we only intended one.

Our plan had been to visit Île d’Yeu, Pornic, Roche Bernard in the La Vilaine River, anchor off one of the beautiful, small islands of the Quiberon Peninsula, moving onto Lorient, the Glénans archipelago known as the Breton Tahiti, and finally Port la Fôret before heading for Camaret on the Finistère Peninsula on or around 9th August.

Looking further into the forecasts brings even more depressions. Growl.

Battle plan

Well, two can play at this weather game. So, planning for the worst, rather than seven stops en route to Camaret with time off to play at each, we’ll do it in three. Pornichet, Lorient and Sainte Marine, taking any available weather window.

Meanwhile, if another high pressure graces us with its presence and banishes the depressions, we’ll stay and play. If it doesn’t, at least we know ‘the plan’.

You see, there’s always next year….

Piers and Lin
from the Meteorological Observatory of
Play d’eau
Fleming 55

4 comments to Ambushed by the weather

  • Hil

    If John and Beryl were to fly back…

  • Tim

    You are not alone! We ran from Pornic to the Quiberon last Thursday when the row of lows first started to appear. Saturday evening and night gave us gusts to 33kts. Now on our third day in Crouesty with the same wind and rain! Tuesday looks OK from a wind perspective but the swell and sea will not be nice.

    As you say a stunning 6 weeks and there is always next year!!

    All the best to you both,


    • Good morning, Tim and Karen. Lin and I were only thinking about you other day and the great times we had together. Still envious of your workshop….

      It seems the weather north of us is slightly better but as you say, the forecast swell looks horrid, stirred by the depressions to the west. For us, I think Thursday is the first day we can make a dash northwards. We’ll probably pull into Pornichet although we don’t really like it but as a ‘port in a storm’ it’ll do fine. Maybe we’ll see you en route over the next few weeks. What are your plans?

  • John and Beryl

    Yes, we loved that sun & heat you describe, which you so wonderfully shared with us. Isn’t it always like that down there?? We didn’t steal it; we have our own depressions!
    You’ll have to do what we’re doing – look back on the photos & memories of such an excellent time shared down there.
    Enjoy the area. And keep up the croissant & bargain wine competitions!
    Our Love…

    PS – Tim & Karen, it was really good to meet you aboard your lovely boat. Safe journey.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>